For the developments in the field of driver assistance and comfort systems, especially with regard to automated driving, it is necessary to use video-based sensors in combination with other sensors for environmental and driving situation detection. In order to develop and secure such highly complex technologies and systems, extensive testing of such functions in real operation is necessary. To achieve this goal, Daimler Mobility Services GmbH will collect video data from real traffic on public roads using test vehicles.
Name and contact details of the responsible party
Daimler Mobility Services GmbH
Fasanenweg 15 - 17
Contact details of Chief Officer Corporate
Purpose and legal basis of data processing
The legal basis for data processing is the legitimate interest pursuant to Art. 6 para. 1 s. 1 lit. f of the German General Data Protection Regulation (DSGVO).
Daimler Mobility Services GmbH uses the recording of video data in public transport to develop, test and secure vehicle systems – and collects the data to safeguard legitimate interests.
Legitimate interests being pursued:
With its divisions Mercedes-Benz Cars, Daimler Trucks, Mercedes-Benz Vans, Daimler Buses and Daimler Financial Services, the Daimler Group is one of the world's leading suppliers of premium passenger cars and the world's largest manufacturer of commercial vehicles. Daimler is also developing new mobility services, including autonomous services, which will make life in large cities easier in the near future. In particular, Daimler Mobility Services GmbH is testing new mobility offerings that, like our vehicles, are designed to meet the highest safety requirements. Daimler Mobility Services GmbH is required to process the data described above so that it can continue to drive these technological developments forward in the future and guarantee secure mobility. In summary, the legitimate interests are the following:
- Development and testing of autonomous vehicle systems
- Development and safeguarding of autonomous mobility services
Storage duration or criteria for determining duration
The photographs will be processed as soon as possible in such a way that individual persons and vehicle number plates are made unrecognizable. This happens either directly after the recording in the vehicle or upon completion of the drive the drive using specialized software. Photographs on which persons or vehicle number plates can be seen are not stored.
Recipients of the data
None. The only exceptions are data disclosures due to official public prosecutor requests or court orders. Failure to comply with such requests would result in obstruction of justice
References to the rights of data subjects
The person concerned shall have the right:
- to ask the data controller for information as to whether personal data relating to him/her are being processed. If this is the case, the said person has a right of access to this personal data and to the information specified in Art. 15 DSGVO.
- to immediately request the responsible party to correct any incorrect personal data concerning him or her and, if necessary, to complete any incomplete personal data (Art. 16 DSGVO).
- to require the responsible party to delete personal data relating to him/her immediately if one of the reasons listed in Art. 17 DSGVO applies, e.g. if the data is no longer required for the purposes pursued (right to deletion).
- to require the responsible party to cease processing if one of the conditions listed in Art. 18 DSGVO is met, e.g. if the data subject has objected to the processing, for the duration of the investigation by the responsible party.
- to object at any time to the processing of personal data on grounds arising from their particular situation. The responsible party will then no longer process the personal data unless he/she can prove compelling grounds for processing, worthy of protection which outweigh the interests, rights and freedoms of the data subject, or the processing serves to assert, exercise or defend legal claims (Art. 21 DSGVO).
Without prejudice to any other administrative or judicial remedy, any data subject shall have the right to appeal to a supervisory authority if he or she considers that the processing of his or her personal data is contrary to the DSGVO (Art. 77 DSGVO). The data subject may exercise that right before a supervisory authority. The responsible authority for Daimler Mobility Services GmbH is the responsible supervisory authority: State Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information in Baden-Württemberg.
Modification of the data protection notice
We reserve the right to change our data protection precautions as far as this is necessary due to technological developments. In these cases, we will also adapt our information on data protection accordingly.
Please therefore note the current version of our data protection notice.
Status: 12 April 2019